20 Jan 2008

Taking my bike on a holiday

After sorting through all the holiday pics, I just had to write about taking my bike on a holiday. A very exciting thing for you to try too. That is in place of just lying on the beach and the normal walking thing. Bike and I went to Ramsgate on the South Coast. Every second day I took it out for fresh air, beautiful scenery, and of course some exercise for me-that is only so I could eat more during the festive season.
For those who have forgotten what it looks like at the South coast, it is hilly. A ride between Ramsgate and Port Edward, which is a 58km ride there and back, only have 18 hills. Add heat and humidity and you have a real tester, but fun and beautiful. I took my mountainbike to be more flexible with my riding and saw some awesome places.

Just outside of Port Edward is a farm called Clearwater which had rides for beginners marked in Green, to technical rides for advanced riders marked in Red. The red route was only 16km but lack nothing in difficulty. Very steep, technical in places and ....well steep! And when it's steep you have to push! The scenery up there was really beautiful and worthwhile attacking the uphill. With a breathtaking view over the gorge it was also comforting to know that part of the area is also a National Heritage site with certain trees only growing in that specific area. Seeing something so spectacular it is really worth conserving............. awesome!





And then there was this interesting animal/seat/bike part!



Now if all of this is not making your bike standing to attention and making your cycling shoes cleat itself into the pedals, just waiting for your bum to hit the saddle, ....what will?!


Oh before I forget, there was also this very cute restaurant at the lighthouse. I mean when last have you had a meal at a lighthouse?

No comments: