8 Jul 2010

So, where was I?

we arrived in Prins Albert and the next morning left for Gamkaskloof. First through the Swartberg'Pass and then the turn off to Gamkaskllof
The road sign says 37km, will take 2 hours. Needless to say it took me half a day. But what scenery! On top of Teeberg, Johan was waiting for us with coffee and rusks. A welcome site indeed. Once in thekloof the houses are scattered all over along the winding little road.
The next day we tackled the ladder. An old donkey path used in old days to cart things in and out of the kloof. I needed a donkey, because my bike absolutely hates ladders and I'm not a mountain goat. We eventually arrived at the top bike and I battered and bruised. Rocks, boulders, more rocks strewn on the path leading away from the ladder.......a long day to Rouxpos. I met a local cyclist with a Raleigh, few gears and no shocks. He shared his story, I shared mine and we had a Coke at the farm shop. A new shop, not the one in Vleiland. He felt sorry for the tired 'Mevrou' and so he kept me companied almost all the way to Rouxpos admiring my bike and telling me the local news.
Today I had to cycle a double day so I would finish the race on the 26 days required. The first time I woke up during the race that I didn't feel up to the day's ride. 140km. But after the first 10km I got my mind in shape again and here I am in Montagu. Lots of sand which made for very difficult cycling. The last 20km was a downhill bonus.
The last one in must switch off the lights......I'm not in yet.....hehehe


Jake said...

Hi Gerda. Mooi so. Ek sien op Google jy ry so tussen die wingerde deur. Ek hoop jy tel so 'n paar botteltjies wyn op vir vannand se ontspan. Jy is nou amper daar hou so aan. Groete Jake

Jake said...

Good going Gerda. It looks like you have made good progress since this morning! Good luck for the last two days. Holding thumbs for you. I met Gawie who had finished this morning at my the cycle shop. Big brother is watching you. Regards Jake